1. Make time for the fun things- My favorites are crafts that go along with stories or writing prompts. These fun activities are meaningful to the students & you get to know your students better!
2. Don't sweat the small stuff- Teaching can be stressful, and although it's natural to stress a little, try to remember why you started teaching in the first place! This reminds me of the saying my Principal shared with us this year, "I'm too blessed to be stressed"... SO TRUE!
3. You will always have a to-do list! Needless to say, I learned to prioritize pretty quickly!
4. Expect to be called Mom- Often, we spend more time with our students than their own parents do, so it's an honor and makes me smile when I am called 'Mom'!
5. Be friends with janitors & thank them for everything they do! We learned about letters and even wrote letters to them- they were so thankful!
6. Ask for help - Experienced teachers have been there & done that and they are full great ideas & tips.
7. Keep up with the newest research & teaching books- There are awesome education books out there, and they seem to reignite the learning flame whenever I read them! This summer I'm reading Teach Like a Pirate & Debbie Diller's Math & Literacy work station books.
8. Embrace Change/Who moved my cheese?- So many things are constantly changing in education (admin, curriculum, standards, teammates, grade levels, students, ect.) & well.... you just have to put on your big girl panties and get over it!
9. 'Me' time - Make 'me time' for hobbies outside of teaching for whatever you love! For me, it's reading, reality tv, Texas Rangers, my dog, baking, and cough *long naps*!
10. Love your co-workers- Take time to get to know your coworkers and spend time with them outside of the classroom, they will become some of your closest friends!
Have a great night!